Monday, June 4, 2012

Single Is Plural


Its birthday for my grandmother (I call her ammichi) who turned eighty today. Every year, she decides when it is her birthday keeping track of the dates as per the Malayalam calendar.  I am sitting with her on the porch, her above-ankle cotton sari wisps in the warm air. I can see her deep wrinkle lines, criss- crossing at the back of her palm. Fingers with lot of cuts have become dark and stiff. Kerala as a state has maximum literacy and a higher ratio of women to men. Ammichi, isn’t literate and not proud of too many girls being born in her family. Typical to her generation she awaits the birth of her next male heir. She describes herself with ease; one that had an early marriage (at 15 years of age) survived the commotions of a joint family, a widow, a farmer, housekeeper, teacher, cashier and a mother of four. I can see her eyes moist when she recalls one of her abortions. She says she can still feel the baby gasping for breath between her legs. Most of her life she has been single handedly managing her fields and family contributing to the society in her own way.

 I look at her I see ‘Life’ I see ‘woman’ a single woman with her plural power.

My cursor is blinking, as I wait for the emotional outpour of words. It’s blinking. Single. Look at your cursor now. See how powerful it is from within. Use that power again. Single is plural.

No comments:

Post a Comment