Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Playing Soccer @Home

This is little rested piece from my file which I forgot to post as football, vacation and household chores took a front seat in my life. Trying to keep up the pace, I post it now.

Date: Ghana vs Uruguay.(thats all I recall)

All I can think of is football these days. The world cup fever caught me unaware this time. I and sports are like two poles of this round earth but if it still managed to goal me down, then I salute this spirit. An apathetic audience like me watches only the India Pakistan cricket match to support my country; ‘This time for Africa’, Shakira jiggles at the backdrop.


All through, I backed Ghana for being a resident here and felt myself proud as my country became the only African team to survive till the quarter final. Glued to the TV since morning, I found myself enjoying even Spain vs Netherlands match. Accra was of course going mad. The Sunday mass was ended with a special request from the priest to do fasting for Ghana’s victory. The green and yellow flag was flying outside our compound and usually perturbing vuvuzela was a welcome sound today. I think I would have forgiven someone if he blew it right through my ears. But I never understood my own feelings till it all came to an end.

My maid requested for a half day off, to which I smiled and agreed, after all Ghana is playing today! It started raining, all laundry had to be shifted inside, doesn’t matter, Ghana is playing today. Husband came home early, kid got up early. Only one thought, Ghana is playing today. Snacks to be made, pet to be fed. One love again. As soon as the match started, I noticed that my movement leads to Ghana’s loss. So I stuck to my sofa without a second thought to my aching bottom or to the chilly chicken on the stove. I somehow breathed in the half time, trying not to spill the ‘Ghana jar’ which sat right on my head. In the break time I was working against the clock, setting table, washing dishes, being the superwoman. Wish I was Goddess Lakshmi with four hands at my disposal. Half time, penalty time, rest was history. Neither Gyan nor I have been so fateful towards any goal earlier. Hint is at the undercooked Chilly chicken which lacked chilly in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment